Friday, October 13, 2006

FDA Approves AstraZeneca's NEXIUM For The Treatment Of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome

AstraZeneca today announced that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a new indication for the prescription proton pump inhibitor NEXIUM® (esomeprazole magnesium) for the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (ZES). NEXIUM already is indicated for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in adults and children ages 12 to 17, and to reduce the risk of NSAID-associated gastric ulcers in at-risk patients.

ZES is a rare but serious chronic condition characterized by the development of tumors that secrete excessive levels of gastrin, a hormone that stimulates acid production by the stomach.

"Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome is the prototypical gastric acid hypersecretory condition. Patients with this condition require long-term antisecretory therapy to reduce their acid output to levels that are not injurious," said David C. Metz, MD, Professor of Medicine, and Director of the Acid-Peptic Program, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Pennsylvania Health System. "NEXIUM provides early, effective, and sustained acid suppression to help in the management of this disease."

WHAT IS A PROTON PUMP? Well...A proton pump is the site within the stomach cell where hydrochloric acid is actually made and pumped out into the stomach. These inhibitors block the formation of acid in the stomach from 80% to over 90% if enough of the drug is taken.
Since their introduction in the late 1980s, proton pump inhibitors have demonstrated gastric acid suppression superior to that of histamine H2-receptor blockers. Proton pump inhibitors have enabled improved treatment of various acid-peptic disorders, including gastroesophageal reflux disease, peptic ulcer disease, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug­induced gastropathy. Proton pump inhibitors have minimal side effects and few significant drug interactions, and they are generally considered safe for long-term treatment.


AstraZeneca finished down in lower volume today at 61.99 (34 cents)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Jon Star and i would like to show you my personal experience with Nexium.

I am 34 years old. Great medicine. I only hope that I don't become dependant on it. But as my esphogus heals then maybe I'll be able to take an OTC PPI if my symtoms re-occur and I catch them ASAP! Can't wait for a generic. BLUE CROSS of MA won't pay for Nexium unless I start on generic Prilosec, then Protonix, then if both of those failed, they would pay for Nexium. I hate BLUE CROSS! My Dr. was great in giving me 7 weeks of samples when he heard this and Aztra-Zeneca gave me a 7-day coupon I re-deemed at my local pharmacy(with a written 7-day script from my Dr.)

No major side effect. Sometimes a feeling of indigestion/bloated, possibly due to low or no stomach acid as a result of a PPI. So, I am sure to chew my food well and not to eat large portions. I have introduced foods/drinks back into my diet, that before taking Nexium would otherwise bring-on reflux symtoms. Fruit juices and citric acid containing drinks still are bothersome. But, I've eaten Pizza, and am able to drink coffee/tea, both decaf(not to excess though.) A little at a time. I do not drink any alcohol! I still limit any food intake 3 hours before bedtime and try to sleep on my left side. Nexium has given me the greatest relief as compared to all OTC H2 and OTC PPI's. I'm on week 5 of an 8 week treatment.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Jon Star