Monday, December 04, 2006

Micromet Surges on Milestone

Micromet surged 135% Monday after the biotech got a $10 million milestone payment from Serono on the company's adecatumumab treatment in metastatic breast cancer and prostate cancer.

The Carlsbad, Calif., company said it got the milestone payment on the completion of two Phase 2 clinical trials using the drug.
Adecatumumab is a human monoclonal antibody targeting tumor cells overexpressing the epithelial cell adhesion molecule. Micromet and Serono reported final data for the two Phase 2 studies on Oct. 2. The compound originated at Micromet and is being developed in collaboration between the companies.

What is it? How does the antibody work?
Adecatumumab is specifically targeted to epithelial cell adhesion molecule, which is overexpressed on many tumor cell types. The molecule helps tumor cells migrate and may promote tumor proliferation. It's mechanism of action is mediating antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC); tumor cells covered witht the antibody are essentially yelling out "hello immune system!!!" HELLO! COME KILL ME".

Shares rose $2.94 to $4.96. (MITI)is trading at this hour down a bit to $3.86.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and think you are doing a great service. My comment is a general one, not about this particular entry (I would have sent it via e-mail if I found one listed anywhere).

I think it would be extremely helpful if you could take a particular disease and talk about what its major research issues are and who's following what lines.

For example, I'm particularly interested in diabetes (since I have it). Since it seems to be approaching epidemic proportions, the potential market for innovative products is huge. I know there are products to improve insulin delivery and products to improve insulin efficiency. There's inhaled vs injected vs oral delivery systems. There's implications for weight control - I've even seen a claim that Alziemer's might be a special type of diabetes. I'd be interested in your views on promising research paths and the companies to watch (and what to keep an eye on).

I realize this is a lot more time consuming that a quick couple of comment paragraphs at the end of a press release, but your background and desire to help raise the level of understanding of BioTech makes it something you should consider.

Keep up the good work!

Science Food Logic said...

Hello--I really appreciate your feedback. I fully intend to add just the content that you've suggested. I am trying to decide whether to start another page or an addition here about the current pipelines of companies and how they relate to the progress of disease research. I can assure you that the content here, with your suggestions, will become more in-depth. Thank you for your input to make this site better for everyone. Stay HEALTHY and good luck.

Science Food Logic said...

I've updated a current email address as well. thanks.